Author Topic: Compuset Documents going to OD or CM  (Read 3294 times)

Shannan

• View Profile
Compuset Documents going to OD or CM
« on: June 03, 2013, 10:08:00 AM »
I am looking for anyone with experience with Compuset documents and getting them into either OnDemand or Content Manager.  From what I'm reading my best options seem to be to use one of their print emitters (like the PDF emitter) to create pdf files first.  Not seeing a way to use them natively with font/forms, etc...  like with afp. 

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Compuset Documents going to OD or CM
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2013, 01:42:50 AM »
Hello Shannan,

it all depends on what you want to do with this CompuSet files.

CMOD and CM can store anything (you could store divx if you want). But it will not be able to index everything itself.
In the case CMOD doesn't handle natively a file format... it means that you need to deliver with your files an index, and use the "Generic Index" to store you documents with the required metadata.
It means to have these metadata for the index file, you need to parse the file with an external tool.

Then you need to display your Compuset file, and for that you will need to have the correct extension defined in your CMOD application, which will finally call your Compuset viewer on Windows, or plug-in in your browser...

Of course you can go to another direction and convert it in PDF, AFP, ASCII, TIFF, etc...
It all depends on what you want to do, and what are your requirements.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Shannan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2013, 11:58:47 AM »
Thanks for your response.  I would likely go the generic indexing route - seems to be the simplest for the large number of reports I'll be getting.  I spoke with IBM and they said they didn't have an applet or a good way of viewing these types of files with fonts/pagedefs, etc...  like we do with the afp format.  They suggested we create pdf's and load them to either OD or CM.  Was trying to see if there was some collaboration between Compuset and IBM so we could move them in their native formats and let an applet or such put the pieces together at viewing time.  It's one of those scenarios where the objects will very rarely ever be viewed going forward, but yet need to be retained.....

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2013, 11:44:30 PM »
Hello Shannan,

then maybe you need to contact your IBM sale representative, and ask him for a enhancement of CMOD to handle such file format.
He will open such request and then the development team will check the possibility to include this new functionality.
If you have luck, and they approve this new feature, then you could hope to have in the next release of CMOD.

Or you could also use this forum, there is one specifically for such enhancement request. And each year the OnDemand User Group representative will give the user requests to the IBM labs, and they will see which ones will be worth to be included in the next release.

My best advise for that would be to describe as much as possible and as clear as possible: What you want to achieve, why, the benefits of it and some use cases (as detailed as possible).
The rest... is up to god, or whatever divinity you believe (or not) in! :-D

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML