Author Topic: Clean up question...  (Read 7981 times)

DDP021

• View Profile
Clean up question...
« on: January 09, 2014, 06:16:20 AM »
Hoping I'm posting this in the correct forum...My question is does anyone know if there is a way to do a scan of folders defined to CMOD to determine if they have an versions?....When we did our conversion years ago to CMOD from ODE2.1, we defined everything that was defined to the old system onto CMOD...Some of these folders/applications are no longer sending data to CMOD and any versions have just rolled off...What we are looking to find out is which folders don't have any versions so we can determine if the definitions (folder, application & application group) can be removed...Thanks!

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Clean up question...
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2014, 08:23:50 AM »
Hrm.  This is an interesting question...  There's certainly no direct method for determining this.  You could search the System Log message text field for folder names -- but that would only tell you if the folder name also appears in the file name.

I'll see if I can come up with an SQL statement that would do this.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2014, 08:45:29 AM »
Thanks Justin....My logic was I was HOPING there was a way to filter/query the folders themselves or some other means via the admin or client versions.....Currently we have over 28,000 folders defined..So not sure how to do a search across all of them to see if any don't have any versions loaded...We've found instances where we've run across a folder and upon doing a query, found no versions stored...We then go back to the application area to determine if the report is still needed on CMOD...But this just blind luck....lol

On a separate note:  We use RACF as our security method....another issue we have to resolve is cleaning up those user ids that are no longer valid...As it stands now, those ids, and their access, will remain unless we are notified they are no longer valid and we manually remove them ourselves....

As always, appreciate any input/help

Take care,

Dave

ewirtz

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 12:20:19 AM »
Hi Dave,

folder are only a view to the data of a list of application groups. I think you have to go back (forward?) to application group level. You can  see in arsseg the last update of the active segments of the application groups. By this you will see the 'living' application groups. A join with the folder tables gives you the view to the affected folders.

If you need the applications as well you can do it by parsing the 87-er and 84-er mesaages. We have setup an asynchronous process to normalize system log messages in a separate table. By this we have a detailed sight on applications and application groups. This was a side effect of our retention management.

regards

egon

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2014, 06:06:18 AM »
Thanks Egon....Can you explain how you get this information?...We are just the "Admins" for OnDemand with limited resources...Basically the only 'tool' we use is the Administrator client...If you can explain how you get this information (arsseg?) that would be appreciated...We would need to tie in the applications/folder as well due to some application groups having multiple applications defined to  them.

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2014, 08:19:24 AM »
Most of this information is acquired through SQL queries of your database.  In short you are looking for Application groups (ARSAG) that either have no corresponding segment in ARSSEG or if there is a corresponding segment(s) in ARSSEG it doesn't have any rows in it.  Your DBAs should be able to build you a query that will give you this information including application/folder cross reference.  You can also get the cross reference using the folder "Find" filter in the admin client.
 What we've done in the past for our OnDemand admins is run the query (DSNTEP2 for DB2) and send the output as a report back into OnDemand where the admins can see the query results.

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2014, 08:51:17 AM »
Thanks Greg!!!...I've passed on your remarks to our DBA...Keeping fingers crossed they can interpret what you said to real world results!!!!... ;D

I'll definitely keep you updated with what, if anything, I get back!!

Thanks again!

Take care

Dave

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »
Well I just heard back from our DBA...I sent him exactly what you sent...Unfortunately he wasn't sure what you were saying..He first asked what "DSNTEP2 for DB2" is...I just told him I wasn't sure and was hoping HE knew...His reply was:

no idea, if you can give me tables(names) and what you are looking for, I can run and get the info, but from the email, it looks that Content manager on demand needs to run with it.

So it appears I've reached a dead end...I do appreciate all the info you provided and was hoping for the best once I provided him what you said...

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2014, 02:12:07 PM »
An example of DSNTEP2 that I use on DB2 V10:

//            JOB
//JOBLIB DD DISP=SHR,DSN=DSN.DB2VA10.SDSNLOAD  
//BATCHSQL EXEC PGM=IKJEFT01,DYNAMNBR=20        
//SYSTSPRT DD SYSOUT=*                          
//SYSPRINT DD SYSOUT=*                          
//SYSUDUMP DD SYSOUT=*                          
//SYSTSIN DD *                                  
DSN SYSTEM(DB1X)                                
RUN PROGRAM(DSNTEP2) PLAN(DSNTEP10) -          
LIB('DSN.L2DB1X.RUNLIB.LOAD')                  
END                                            
/*                                              
//SYSIN DD *                                    
SELECT *                                        
FROM ARSSERV3.ARSAG                            
/*

Ed
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 07:53:23 AM by Ed_Arnold »
#zOS #ODF

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2014, 02:22:43 PM »
#zOS #ODF

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 05:18:02 AM »
Thanks Ed for the links...I'll pass them to our DBA for future reference....

Thanks again to Greg for all his help and efforts...What you provided worked great!..Out of over 3100 Application Groups we have defined, only 117 showed not having any versions...We are now in the process of cleaning those up...What's great now is we have the means to run what you provided anytime so we can keep up with the cleanup process!!...Thanks so much again!!!

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 10:02:06 AM »
For the record this is what I sent to Dave. Returns empty application groups and a couple verification columns:

SELECT SUBSTR(A.NAME,1,10), S.AGID,S.INS_ROWS, S.DEL_ROWS FROM
DATABAS1.ARSSEG S, DATABAS1.ARSAG A
WHERE (S.INS_ROWS - S.DEL_ROWS) = 0
AND A.AGID = S.AGID
AND S.AGID IN
(SELECT AGID FROM DATABAS1.ARSSEG
GROUP BY AGID
HAVING COUNT(*) = 1)
ORDER BY AGID;

DDP021

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2014, 04:11:31 AM »
Kudos again Greg for all his help!!!...This worked perfectly when run by our DBA....We had over 100 Applications Groups that never had no loads to them...Enabled us to do some cleanup (on App Groups/Applications/Folders)...Exactly what we needed!!...