Author Topic: HELP: ARSMAINT NOT expiring data  (Read 4151 times)

smahr

HELP: ARSMAINT NOT expiring data
« on: April 07, 2014, 01:03:50 PM »
For some reason ARSMAINT is no longer expiring MOST of my reports.  Currently only two AG are expiring reports.  I've looked at both AG's and I see no difference between ones that are and ones that aren't expiring.  Anyone have any ideas?

jeffs42885

Re: HELP: ARSMAINT NOT expiring data
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 01:16:47 PM »
Version of OD?

jeffs42885

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2014, 09:25:35 AM »
Anyways, Hope this helps.

I had this happen when we went from 8.4.0.3 to 8.5.0.6

We were running a weekly ARSMAINT against several cache application groups. We upgraded, ARS would continue to run, no error (If it errored our enterprise wide scheduling tool would scream)

Nothing was happening. After a couple of weeks of dealing with IBM, it was determined that ARSMAINT needed to be ran on the LIBRARY server, compared to the OBJECT server. I tested this in our lower tiers and it worked. Maybe give that a shot.

Also, are you using -I?

smahr

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 11:48:45 AM »
Running 7.1.2.13

smahr

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 11:49:50 AM »
Will look into the Library Server option.  Thanks!

jeffs42885

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2014, 12:05:25 PM »
Im not sure if thats your issue then, because according to IBM "SOMETHING" changed between 8.4.0.3 and 8.5.0.6 that required us to change this.

If you go the PMR route- I'll save you some hassle :)

Do an ARSSOCKD trace, get all you trace files ready because IBM is going to want them. Maybe something is interfering with it? Are you doing it during the night (or a time when there is not much system activity)

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2014, 03:13:01 AM »
Hi Steve.

I haven't seen your system yet, but I don't think you have separate object/library servers.  Also, I'm not sure that 7.1.2.x actually had the server trace facility that you find in 8.4/8.5.

We'll look into it this week.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 09:52:04 AM »
I guess the arsmaint would not expire data until the space reaches above the threshold value.
In your case, the space occupied on the file system is probably lower than the lower threshold value.

Try specifying a very low value for -n parameter and -x parameter.
I guess that would work.

See this from IBM documentation.

-n minimum
Specifies the low expiration threshold percentage for cache storage file systems. This value determines when the ARSMAINT program stops expiring files from cache storage file systems (see the -c and -x parameters). The range is 0 (zero) to 100.
The default value is 80 (percent), which should keep cache storage file systems fairly full, to provide good retrieval hit rates while leaving adequate free space to load new input files. IBM recommends that you periodically check the amount of space available in your cache storage file systems. Depending on the amount of data that you load into the system and the length of time that you maintain documents in cache storage, you may need to increase the size of the cache storage file systems or add new cache storage file systems.

-x maximum
Specifies the high expiration threshold percentage for cache storage file systems. This value determines when the ARSMAINT program begins expiring files from cache storage file systems (see the -c parameter). When a cache storage file system reaches this threshold, the ARSMAINT program begins deleting data from the file system by using the data migration and caching values from the application groups. The ARSMAINT program stops deleting files from a file system when the amount of used space in the file system drops below the low expiration threshold (see the -n parameter). The range is 0 (zero) to 100.