Author Topic: XML by version  (Read 2389 times)

Greg Ira

• View Profile
XML by version
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:29:28 PM »
This is kind of a wishful thinking question.  How rigid is the version when it comes to the XML schema?
Here's my "dilemma".
I am migrating an instance from 8.4 MP to 9.5 z/OS.  I've been using XML to migrate the definitions and all is going well except for the folders.  What I've discovered is that the schema for a 9.5 folder is completely different than it was for 8.4 and to get the exported folders to load requires reformatting of the XML definitions.  Right now my options is to modify the XML definitions by hand, which makes no sense as we're talking about thousands of folders or develop an application that will reformat them in batch. Not being an XML expert my question is, what would happen if I pointed my 8.4 XML export command at a 9.5 schema (or even an 8.5 one)?   Would this cause my export to be formatted in the 9.5 schema or would it just blow up when it hits a wrong datatype?
Just curious if anyone has tried something like this as it could save me a fair amount of work.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: XML by version
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 01:12:03 AM »
Hello Greg,

Unfortunately the format of XML between CMOD V8.4 and V8.5+ is different.
Not much different, but in the folder you have some differences, as you noticed.

Unfortunately there are no tools yet to do the conversion.

One might create it in order to automate your work.

What you can try, without very much hope... is to try the arsxml V9.5 with the ondemand.xsd from V8.4.
If that doesn't work, as I suppose, then you will need to do the manual work, or do a conversion between the two XML format. That's not too complicated, but that's not a "easy" task either.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 06:11:05 AM »
Thanks Alessandro,
 I tried some quick tests last night switching the 8.4 xsd with the 9.5 xsd without any luck.  Looks like I'll have to create a tool to do the conversion.  Thanks!

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 10:44:51 AM »
Greg - as you know since the schema has changed quite a bit between two versions for many objects and the object order is now enforced in V9.5, the exported XML file from 8.4 will not be directly usable.

Possibly you could use some sort of export/import from the Admin Client.  May not be practical but it's a thought.

Perhaps via XML it could be done with one type of objects at a time.  Export a type of objects. Look at the schema differences for that type of objects.  If there are differences, make changes to the XML file to fit the new schema.  The XML file syntax can be checked by using the "arsxml validate" option in V9.5.

If you try this, do it in the following order: printers, users, groups, storage sets, application groups, applications, folders, cabinets and holds.

Some objects may need their permission objects added later once all users and groups have been added.

Ed
#zOS #ODF

Greg Ira

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 11:02:40 AM »
Thanks Ed,
 I've built  a handful of tools that parse the 8.4 XML and spit out the 9.5 versions.  Some changes were minor such as an invalid or missing parm.  Others more significant such as the folders which ended up being a total redesign of the XML format.
Seems to be working ok now.