Author Topic: CMOD, TSM & DB2 upgrade in same server  (Read 4163 times)

Anand

• View Profile
CMOD, TSM & DB2 upgrade in same server
« on: June 29, 2015, 07:50:49 AM »
We are planning to upgrade our CMOD environment to below levels.

CMOD 8.4.0.3 -> 9.0.x.x
TSM    5.5.3    -> 6.3/6.4
DB2     9.5       -> 9.7

Currently we are running in single server AIX P6 with OS 6.1. Since the new TSM has more memory requirement we are planning to increase the memory from 8 G to 16 /32 G and do upgrade all the components in same server.

Has anyone already having setup like this having CMOD and TSM databases running in same AIX server.
Also in that case, whether both TSM and CMOD databases share same Db2 installation or we need to have two separate DB2 installations in the same server. Please advice.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: CMOD, TSM & DB2 upgrade in same server
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 06:27:18 AM »
The new TSM server will come with it's own DB2 install under the covers.  You'll want to add more storage to your rootvg volume group for the installation files, and push for the 32GB of RAM -- DB2 will use it to store more database pages to make queries for end users faster.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Anand

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2015, 04:09:33 AM »
Thanks Justin.

I will push for 32 GB memory and addition space in ROOTVG.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2015, 01:54:26 AM »
I will strongly advice to go from DB2 9.5 to 10.X and not to DB2 9.7, because DB2 V9.7 is not supported anymore, so it doesn't make sense to upgrade to this version anymore, at least not in your case.
Except if you have a very strong reason to do that.
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Maciej Mieczakowski

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015, 03:57:44 AM »
I will strongly advice to go from DB2 9.5 to 10.X and not to DB2 9.7, because DB2 V9.7 is not supported anymore, so it doesn't make sense to upgrade to this version anymore, at least not in your case.
Except if you have a very strong reason to do that.

I started digging after your post and according my findings it seems that DB2 9.7 will still be supported for a couple of years

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21168270

Maybe you were thinking about DB2 9.5 that is not supported anymore since end of April 2015  ;)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2015, 04:54:03 AM »
I started digging after your post and according my findings it seems that DB2 9.7 will still be supported for a couple of years

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21168270

Maybe you were thinking about DB2 9.5 that is not supported anymore since end of April 2015  ;)

:o :o My bad !! :-) thanks to point it out !!!
nevertheless, there is a 5 years support for DB2 9.7, and it means from the GA  9 August 2009 and 5 years, it means something like 9 August 2014... now we are nearly at the 6 years of official support, and I'm guessing that we will see soon a date for the end of support.
Especially since CMOD 9.5 doesn't support officially DB2 9.7 (http://www-969.ibm.com/software/reports/compatibility/clarity-reports/report/html/softwareReqsForProduct?deliverableId=1363650145499)
That's why I was thinking wrongly that DB2 was end of life... (I could make it work on linux wihtout problems, but I have a customer who had DB2 V9.7, and CMOD V9.5 refuse to start with V9.7 until it was upgraded to 10.X...)

Again my bad!!! and thanks for the correction !!
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

rketterer

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:19:19 AM »
I have the same question,  How do you keep the DB2 that gets installed with TSM from stepping on the Links from the DB2 installed for CMOD?   TSM 7.1.1 won't install because of this link  libdb2.a -> /sftw/db2_09_05/V9.5/lib64/libdb2.a

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2015, 06:28:21 AM »
Hello rketter,

you still are using DB2 9.5? It is not supported anymore since several years...
Try to upgrade to a more recent DB2 (either 9.7, or even better 10.5), and you shouldn't have any problems.
At least from my experience.
Alessandro Perucchi