Author Topic: Migrate CMOD AIX to CMOD Linux  (Read 4884 times)

teeraw

Migrate CMOD AIX to CMOD Linux
« on: August 16, 2015, 02:22:29 AM »
Can CMOD AIX migrate to CMOD Linux without export/import all report in repository?

Can we used DB2 backup/restore and CMOD Cache storage copy across two platform? (Assuming that same version)

Thanks.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Migrate CMOD AIX to CMOD Linux
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 05:19:22 AM »
No, and no.  :)

You have to do a variety of steps to migrate cross platform, it's not as simple as a backup and restore.

In some cases, doing a full extract-and-restore is the best way forward -- if the system is old, and you want to correct problems, an export/import is the way to go.  Things you can fix off the top of my head:

• Split out Application Groups into individual storage nodes
  • Change the expiration type from Segment or Document to Load
  • Add, remove, or change the size of fields to make database storage more efficient
  • Change the compression types for documents to the newer OD77 or OD77 Lite to save storage space

Even if you don't want to do any of that, a very basic migration across platforms is very difficult.  There are other threads on migrations on the forums -- this one is the most recent:

http://www.odusergroup.org/forums/index.php?topic=1699.0

Feel free to ask more specific questions -- and don't forget to include important information like version numbers for all of the software you're  using on the old and new systems.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

jeffs42885

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 05:34:05 AM »
I agree with JD. In our case, the db2move + arscache move worked perfectly but since you're on AIX and working with links, retr directory, etc, you're going to want to do an ARSDOC GET / ARSLOAD combo (Correct me if wrong!)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 05:38:53 AM »
Officially it is not supported.
But unofficially it has been done several times. (Personally I've done it from AIX -> Linux, Windows -> Linux, Windows -> Solaris, Solaris -> Linux, AIX -> AIX, Linux -> Linux, Linux -> AIX, ...)

That's not a very difficult task, BUT, you really need to know what you are doing, and if you are just following instructions without understanding what is going on... then I will never do that kind of task.
Because the margin of errors and having a non working system, making people lose time for nothing is too great.
And when you have problems, on why it doesn't work, you cannot ask IBM Support for help, because it is not a supported operation. So you are on your own.
And you will feel it, if it doesn't work as you imagine it works, and you need to find why...

If you don't have really good TSM / Unix / DB2 / CMOD knowledge... then better to ask support from people who has already done it, and can prove that they have done it (could be IBM or IBM Business Partner).

And as Justin said it rightly... in some cases, the export / import is the best and only way to do it.
And if you are not sure enough, and if you don't find the correct people to do it, the export / import is the only way too.

Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 05:40:52 AM »
I agree with JD. In our case, the db2move + arscache move worked perfectly but since you're on AIX and working with links, retr directory, etc, you're going to want to do an ARSDOC GET / ARSLOAD combo (Correct me if wrong!)

Cache and retr works exactly the same on AIX and Linux. There are zero differences!
And the way to do it (db2move + arscache move) is the correct one.

If you have TSM, the idea is nearly the same :-)
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

jeffs42885

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 07:46:00 AM »
That makes total sense. Thank you Allesandro

*Must stay off ODUG before my daily caffeine regiment! :D *

teeraw

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2015, 01:12:49 AM »
Officially it is not supported.
But unofficially it has been done several times. (Personally I've done it from AIX -> Linux, Windows -> Linux, Windows -> Solaris, Solaris -> Linux, AIX -> AIX, Linux -> Linux, Linux -> AIX, ...)

That's not a very difficult task, BUT, you really need to know what you are doing, and if you are just following instructions without understanding what is going on... then I will never do that kind of task.
Because the margin of errors and having a non working system, making people lose time for nothing is too great.
And when you have problems, on why it doesn't work, you cannot ask IBM Support for help, because it is not a supported operation. So you are on your own.
And you will feel it, if it doesn't work as you imagine it works, and you need to find why...

If you don't have really good TSM / Unix / DB2 / CMOD knowledge... then better to ask support from people who has already done it, and can prove that they have done it (could be IBM or IBM Business Partner).

And as Justin said it rightly... in some cases, the export / import is the best and only way to do it.
And if you are not sure enough, and if you don't find the correct people to do it, the export / import is the only way too.

When you was migrated from AIX to Linux, did you found problem on ENDIAN of character?
And for DB2 database, which method you used for migrate? (db2move or restore DB)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 01:12:26 AM »
Hello teeraw,

never have an ENDIAN problem if you use "db2move", that's the only proven method to move DB2 databases from 32/64bits environments, from Windows/Unix/Linux to Windows/Unix/Linux, from Big/Little Endian to Big/Little Endian.

Hope that helps.
Alessandro Perucchi