Author Topic: migrating documents from cache to tsm  (Read 4283 times)

Michel de Kraker

• View Profile
    • SYSBLOX , AIX consultancy
migrating documents from cache to tsm
« on: September 03, 2015, 09:50:19 AM »
Hi all,

next week i am upgrading both cmod and tsm to newer levels. I am upgrading TSM from 5.5.7 to 7.1.1 and this wil take approx. 8-10 hours.
During this TSM upgrade i am also going to upgrade CMOD/DB2. My guess is that this will take approx 3-4 hours. To minimise impact for the business i want to start CMOD again before also TSM is up and running again. So documents will be loaded to ondemand without the tsm server.
This means that documents go only to cache and not to cache/tsm.

Is there a way to synchronise cache with tsm after tsm is up and running again? Can i do this with arsadmin load? Anyone any thoughts?

Thanks,

Kind regards,

Michel.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: migrating documents from cache to tsm
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 11:41:10 AM »
Hello Michel,

In order to do that, you have one thing to make sure, are your Application group set up for that?

I mean, you have in the application group, in the tab "Storage Management" -> "Advanced" -> Section "Migrate Data from Cache".
This section, allows you to archive document in TSM and the Cache in a synchronous or asynchronous mode.

In you case, you must use the option "Next Cache Migration" for all the application group that you want to archive, but not yet archive in TSM.

Then, when this is done, you do whatever you need to do with TSM/CMOD....

Once TSM is back from its upgrade, then you can use the command

Code: [Select]
arsmaint -h Instance -m

and it will automagically archive all the documents that are only in the case, back to TSM.

Then you can remove the option "Next Cache Migration" to "When Data is loaded" to have the cache / tsm synchronous archiving.

and then do again a
arsmaint -m

Hope that helps a little bit!
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Michel de Kraker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 12:19:37 PM »
Thx Alessandro for your quick response. Is this setting per AG , since i have around 800 AG's :-)

kind regards,

Michel.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2015, 02:41:38 AM »
Is this setting per AG , since i have around 800 AG's :-)

.... ....

Yes

.... ....

You could use a XML for that :-)

something like that

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<onDemand xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="ondemand.xsd">
  <applicationGroup name="AG1" migrateCache="Migration" />
  <applicationGroup name="AG2" migrateCache="Migration" />
  <applicationGroup name="AG800" migrateCache="Migration" />
</onDemand>

and then, when TSM is available and working, then you do

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>

<onDemand xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="ondemand.xsd">
  <applicationGroup name="AG1" migrateCache="Load" />
  <applicationGroup name="AG2" migrateCache="Load" />
  <applicationGroup name="AG800" migrateCache="Load" />
</onDemand>
(or the original values ... )

and then, you do a simple

arsmaint -m

to put all documents that are in the cache only but not yet in TSM, back to TSM too :-)

and that's it !!! :-D
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Michel de Kraker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 03:17:05 AM »
Great,

Why didn't i think of this  ;)

Thx Alessandro.

Kind regards,

Michel

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2015, 04:44:11 AM »
 ;D
Alessandro Perucchi

yousuf_gani

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2015, 04:03:00 AM »
Sorry to reply in this Post, as my Topic is related to this

Currently my TSM was not setup but i want to Test my CMOD with CACHE storage Set.
So for the New AG i set the Storage Set to point to "CACHE" timebeing and loaded the data to the CACHE.
After TSM was running i want to Change the Storge Set from CACHE to the TSM Node. How will i migrate the data already stored in the CACHE to the TSM

(I see the "migr" folder not created as i dont have the TSM storage node apart from CACHE, so i feel arsmaint -m command wont work - Sorry if my assumption is wrong)

Could anybody help me please.

Thanks
Mohd Yousuf gani

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2015, 02:03:08 AM »
Sorry to reply in this Post, as my Topic is related to this

No it wasn't. You problem is different.

He wanted to put some documents in the cache, while stopping the load in TSM.

And your problem is that you have configured an AG without TSM, and as an afterthought, you want migrate the documents from cache to TSM.

Currently my TSM was not setup but i want to Test my CMOD with CACHE storage Set.
So for the New AG i set the Storage Set to point to "CACHE" timebeing and loaded the data to the CACHE.
After TSM was running i want to Change the Storge Set from CACHE to the TSM Node. How will i migrate the data already stored in the CACHE to the TSM

(I see the "migr" folder not created as i dont have the TSM storage node apart from CACHE, so i feel arsmaint -m command wont work - Sorry if my assumption is wrong)

Since this is ABSOLUTELY not the same question, it is normal that you cannot relate to the answer of this question.

My advice would be to simply create a new AG, and use this one with TSM (creation of Storage Set / Storage Node). This is the really easy way to have something in TSM and play with it.

Now if you really want to put the document that are in the AG from the cache to TSM, this is another story, and that's really not something you can do like that.
It means basically that you need to modify lots of places in the databases tables, create the "migr" directory, create new links inside... etc... etc...

--
Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

yousuf_gani

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2015, 01:24:08 AM »
Thanks Alessandro..

I will setup the AG for TSM Separatly. i thought there should be an easy way to Migrate thee DATA from CACHE to TSM, but your post says its merely impoosbile or require lot of changes.
No Problem i will stop reply to this post. not to confuse the acutalOwner of this post.

Thanks a lot for all your help and support.

Thanks
Mohd Yousuf gani

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2015, 11:48:04 AM »
Hello yousuf,

no problem :-) This is not impossible to do it, but this is not that easy.
If you really want, then I can explain it to you :-) in another thread, so we don't confuse the readers :D

Kind regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi