Author Topic: CMOD roadmaps after V10.5  (Read 1066 times)

teera_aoo

• View Profile
CMOD roadmaps after V10.5
« on: January 28, 2024, 09:33:31 PM »
Since CMOD 10.5 release since 2020, I'm not sure when is roadmaps to release newer version.
(Average aging for version will be 5 years, that 10.5 may EOS in 2025, or 10.5 will be version that extend life time to 7-8 years)

This is inquiry from customer. Bcause they decision for upgrade project, and inform that if we go 10.5 and EOS in next year, this will not worth to upgrade it.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: CMOD roadmaps after V10.5
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2024, 04:48:07 AM »
Upgrades to the latest supported version are always worth it.   :D

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

jsquizz

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2024, 07:45:19 AM »
Since CMOD 10.5 release since 2020, I'm not sure when is roadmaps to release newer version.
(Average aging for version will be 5 years, that 10.5 may EOS in 2025, or 10.5 will be version that extend life time to 7-8 years)

This is inquiry from customer. Bcause they decision for upgrade project, and inform that if we go 10.5 and EOS in next year, this will not worth to upgrade it.

In my experience, it's not usually difficult to go from an older version to a newer..

For example. if you're using 10.1, and need to get into compliance, I'd push forward with 10.5.. Figure out what new features you can utilize, start in your lower dev/uat/stating/pre-prod tiers, test it.. Then plan for production.

In my experience it is not that difficult to go from lets say version 9.5 -> 10.5 with the proper planning.

Here's a hypothetical drawback/blocker/etc.. lets just 100% assume that they are going to release. lets say, CMOD 10.6. I am not sure if going from 9.5 would be as easy as going from lets say - 10.1, 10.5, just following the "version - 2" method (Or whatever the wording is..)

Personally, I agree - I remember hearing about 10.5 at a roadshow prior to covid. I think it's overdue. I am still moving forward with implementations of 10.5 with most of my customers.
#CMOD #DB2 #AFP2PDF #TSM #AIX #RHEL #AWS #AZURE #GCP #EVERYTHING

Ed_Arnold

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2024, 08:37:20 AM »
This is inquiry from customer. Because they decision for upgrade project, and inform that if we go 10.5 and EOS in next year, this will not worth to upgrade it.

Hello Teera - I occasionally get asked about CMOD plans and directions.

First off - nobody tells me anything, and I don't want to know, either.  That way I can maintain plausible deniability about CMOD plans and directions.  :-)

What I do when asked is point people to this official doc:

https://www.ibm.com/support/pages/how-do-ptf-numbers-relate-content-manager-ondemand-product-version-numbers-and-maintenance-fix-packs

It's written for z but the information is true across all platforms.  All service fixpacks, all announcement and end-of-service dates are in lockstep across the CMOD platforms.

You can see that 10.5 is the only currently supported release.

No announcement has been made (yet) about a follow on release.

I believe that an announcement of support has always given a customer two years to upgrade.

No announcement has been made for 10.5 EoS so at a minimum there would most likely be two years to upgrade.

CMOD 10.5 is currently at fixpack 7 (10.5.0.7).  While it really means nothing note that 9.5 and 10.1 put out several more semi-annual fixpacks during their lifecycle.

One thing I can say is that new function lately has been pushed out via fixpack, so read those fixpack announcements thoroughly!  :-)

Anyway, I absolutely recommend upgrading to 10.5.  Get to a supported environment.

Ed Arnold

#zOS #ODF

teera_aoo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2024, 10:24:05 PM »
Thank you very much everyone. I will convince end customer to go 10.5.