Author Topic: Data expiration from TSM through CMOD  (Read 4467 times)

sandeepveldi

Data expiration from TSM through CMOD
« on: March 31, 2010, 02:51:13 PM »
Hi All,
Here's our current system setup
========================
Platform: AIX 5.3
CMOD: 8.4.1.3
TSM: 5.4
DB2: 9.5.4
========================

All of our application groups are having "Expiration Type" as "Load" and are setup with "Life of Data & Indexes" as "Never Expire". Currently "EXPIRE INVENTORY" is not running on TSM side. Now the requirement is to change "Life of Data & Indexes" to 7 years retention for some of the application groups. We tested this on our dev box and found that even though we are running the arsmaint -d and CMOD is showing that the data got expired (in the System Log), the data is not deleted from TSM side and still occupying space in the storage pool.
As the "Expiration Type" is "Load", CMOD is issuing a data unload command through which I expect that the data should be deleted from TSM side as well, but it isn't happening.
Please note that application groups which are eligible now for data expiry (Life of Data & Indexes set to fixed number of days instead of Never Expire) are pointing to the same storage pool as the ones that have to be still left at Never Expire. So, we are not running the TSM EXPIRE INVENTORY.
Attached are the CMOD system log entries and the Query output from TSM before and after running the expiration.

Can you please let me know what might be the reason for this? Also, please let me know if there's any workaround for this which isn't listed in the documentation.

Thanks in advance,
Sandeep Veldi  :)
sandeep.veldi@capitalone.com

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Data expiration from TSM through CMOD
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2010, 12:34:57 AM »
Hello Sandeep,

From my experience with CMOD/TSM/... if CMOD does not tell TSM to delete/expire a document, TSM will not delete it by itself.
So as long as you don't run the TSM EXPIRE INVENTORY, then TSM will not delete any documents at all.

So my question to you, why do you not want to run this command? You fear that TSM removes documents that he shouldn't?

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

sandeepveldi

Re: Data expiration from TSM through CMOD
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2010, 10:34:17 AM »
Alessandro,
Thanks for your response. Basically we need to cleanup some old data out of TSM. Based on the testing that we have done, even if CMOD says that the data is deleted from TSM, the data still exists on TSM. IBM tech support said that we need run inventory expiration on TSM side so that the data will be deleted from TSM.