Author Topic: Permanent retention  (Read 3613 times)

pankaj.puranik

Permanent retention
« on: October 29, 2010, 02:30:41 AM »
Hi

We typically see 5 year/10 year/ n year node in CMOD/TSM.
If I want that my data should be stored permanently and should never me disposed, do I have an option to do that in CMOD?

What is the significance of "Hold" check box?

Thanks
Pankaj.

rstockton

Re: Permanent retention
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 09:46:04 AM »
You can put 99999 days for the expiration in CMOD and TSM.  There might be other ways but this will not expire for 273.9 years.

The "Hold" will keep the document from expiring until you release the Hold.

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 07:27:06 AM »
The 'hold' Checkbox is for Enhanced Retention Management.  It's a separately purchased product that allows you to create 'holds' on individual (or groups) of documents for various business reasons (court case, fraud investigations, etc.).

I would love to point you to some documentation, but it's not clear where the Enhanced Retention Management documentation is.  I'll ask IBM and reply later.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

sandeepveldi

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »
Pankaj,
Data expiration on CMOD & TSM are independant of each other.
1) From a CMOD standpoint, you can use option of "Never Expire" under "Life of Data and Indexes" in the "Storage Management" settings of application group. This setting is retro-active. So, any data that was previous loaded will also be retained indefinitely.
2) From a TSM standpoint, the storage node retention class is what determines when the data must be expired from a specific storage node. When ever, "EXPIRE INVENTORY" runs on the TSM side, based on the scheduled time, it'll check the retention policy of the storage node and it'll delete the objects under the storage node accordingly.

Solution steps:
a) Set the "Life of Data and Indexes" to "Never Expire" in the application group settings. This will make sure that CMOD doesn't initiate expiration for this specific application group when "arsmaint -d" is ran
b) Make sure that in the Advanced storage management, "Migration of Indexes" is setup to "No Migration". This way you can avoid re-importing the indexes from TSM when required. It's a time taking and error prone process.
b) Change the "Retain Version" value in the Retention policy of the TSM storage node to "No Limit". This will make sure that the data will not be deleted from TSM storage node unless CMOD asks them to be deleted.

Note: Holds will be required only when you need specific documents in an application group to be put on hold without expiration. If your requirement is just to hold the entire data in an application group, then you can avoid paying for the separate of license of "Enhanced Retention Management".

Feel free to ask more questions on this. :)

Regards,
Sandeep Veldi

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 03:00:25 AM »
Thanks Sandeep.
That was a very detailed information!!