Author Topic: Adding new Index field to and exisitng large Application  (Read 4654 times)

rstockton

Adding new Index field to and exisitng large Application
« on: November 16, 2010, 01:17:28 PM »
Has anyone had any experience with adding a new index field to and exisiting application with approximately 50,000,000 documents.  How long did it take, did it require a DB2 reorg, etc.?

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Adding new Index field to and exisitng large Application
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 02:18:20 PM »
If I understood the way Greg explained this at the ODUG conference, the field should be added to new tables on a going-forward basis, there should be little to no waiting -- but the field won't exist for earlier tables.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

rstockton

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 02:23:47 PM »
Wouldn't this require a new folder and the search would have to be done in each of the folders separately?

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 09:45:34 PM »
I don't have a CMOD setup right now.
But I think you can add the new field to the existing folder as well and do the mapping with the application group field in the "Field Mapping" tab of Folder. That should suffice. There's no need to create a separate folder unless you want the end user to access the old and the new documents through different folders.
Also the field value for this newly added field for all the old documents would be NULL.

In case if that doesn't work and you still want to maintain the old folder for accessing the old and the new documents; what you can do is copy the existing/old folder, add the new filed to this new folder, save it.
Then rename the old folder to something else, eg. Folder_Old.
After that rename the new folder to the old name, eg. Folder.

Confusing indeed :)

Hope that works for you.

Cheers
Pankaj.

rstockton

« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks Pankaj.

Updating the historical data is my plan of action and we do not want to create a separate folderd, but I wanted to run it by someone who had done this already to know if they had any adverse experiences.  We will actually be adding the index to about 1.5 billion documents that have previously been loaded to CMOD.

pankaj.puranik

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 10:17:43 PM »
As JD pointed, this would affect only the future tables on a going forward basis. So this activity would not take any time. We have done this for one of the Application Groups and didn't had any adverse effects.
Just make sure that the index type (integer, string, etc) of the folder field and the Application Group field are the same. I think you already know this. I am pointing this as a word of caution as I did this mistake :)

Cheers
Pankaj.