Author Topic: Setting Application View Information as Binary  (Read 5142 times)

rstockton

Setting Application View Information as Binary
« on: November 18, 2010, 03:48:06 PM »
How can I load information as binary and set View Information in the Application as binary?  We have a user that wants to load and retrieve different types of docuements as binary, and they want to use their own viewers after they retrieve.

pankaj.puranik

Re: Setting Application View Information as Binary
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 10:55:52 PM »
My suggestion would be to load the file as "Custom Data". In this case you would need to supply the indexer file alsong with the data so that you can retrieve the report.

rstockton

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2010, 09:45:24 AM »
Thanks Pankaj.

I have loaded the data with codepage 850 and set the View Information to "none", but of course with this we cannot view the data after it is loaded.  I am trying to find a way to be able to view the data (readable or not readable) and at the same time for it to be extracted by an API in a generic format to be interperted by the user. 

An example would be to load a document and the OnDemand viewer only see it as binary, but after it is extracted the user can use Word, PDF, JPG etc to view it depending on the orginial format of the document. 

When I try to use the user defined option to view I get the error saying to "Create an association in the Folder Options control panel".  I am not sure where the Folder Options control panel is.

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2010, 10:48:50 PM »
Unfortunately, my CMOD setup is not accessible or I would have tried loading a test data.
But as far as I can recall, whenever you set up CMOD to load a custom data, it prompts you to specify the file extension for this custom data (.txt, .doc, etc). CMOD uses this extension to search for a suitable viewer in your system (MSWORD for .doc files, notepad for .txt file, etc).
In your case since you cannot read binary data anyway you could mention the extension as '.txt'.

Have you already specified any extension??

Let me see if I can access my CMOD environment.
I will get back with any updates.

Cheers
Pankaj.

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2010, 10:52:50 PM »
One more thing to add; this error message that you get is probably because CMOD is unable to find a suitable viewer for the binary file you loaded. So specifying a '.txt' extension should open the file with the notepad and should resolve the problem.

rstockton

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2010, 01:25:06 PM »
Thanks Pankaj.

I have tried several options and I did try txt and can view the data as bianry.  I will have to wait until the user develops their API to see if they can view the document the way they want to. 

Thanks for your input.

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2010, 11:35:21 PM »
Regarding the "Create an association in the Folder Options control panel", I think this has got nothing to do with CMOD and that this "Folder" is not a CMOD folder but a windows folder. On windows you get the "Folder options" in the "Tools" tab of windows explorer. It is here that you normally associate the default program to be used to open the file.