Author Topic: Help with migrating data to a new server CMOD  (Read 6976 times)

jose.arotinco

• View Profile
Help with migrating data to a new server CMOD
« on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:30 AM »
Hi all,

I have a 8.3 server with data from 8 years and need to have all that information in a new 8.3 server and then upgrade to version 8.4.x.

- Export all objects (users, applications, AG, etc.) of the current server
- Download documents with the command arsdoc (1680 AG and 8 years of information)
- Install and configure CMOD 8.3 on the new server
- Import the objects in the new server
- upgrade to version 8.4.x
- upload the downloaded documents on the new server using the command arsload

It is the right way to do this? I think this method will take much time to do it, I may take weeks or months to upload all documents to new server

There is another way to make this migration to a new server, perhaps copying the system files or doing a backup and restore of the database

Thanks for your suggestions

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
Re: Help with migrating data to a new server CMOD
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 04:52:25 AM »
Hi Jose.

It's tricky, but it's possible to 'transplant' entire CMOD servers across hardware (even across platforms, but you didn't ask about that).

Without giving away too many of my "secrets", the steps I follow are this:

- Install CMOD at the software levels you want to be at on the new hardware.
 - Duplicate the cache filesystem onto the new system.
 - Backup & restore your (DB2?) database data.
 - Backup & restore your TSM database data.
 - Move any TSM devices (Optical/Tape) to the new server.

In most cases, migrations like this only take 10 to 14 days to complete, and downtime is limited to just a couple hours over the weekend.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

jose.arotinco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 07:36:06 AM »
Hi Justin,
thanks for your answer! ... if the current server does not use TSM, then suffice to make the points 1, 2 and 3?

If I have the filesystem cache into two discs C and E, then the new server must have the same disks partitions and replicate the filesystem cache on both partitions?

Thanks very much!

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • View Profile
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2011, 04:44:39 AM »
Yes, if you're cache only, then skip the TSM steps.

And unless you want to consolidate the cache filesystems, you'll want to create identical filesystems to your existing configuration.

Many customers I've worked with in the past want to do things like combine cache filesystems, or change database ownerships -- that's the tricky part, but it's a great way to kill two birds with one stone.

-JD.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

Patrick

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 10:49:05 AM »
Hi Jose,

we have developed two custom JAVA applications who can export the documents from an OD system and can import them into another, different platform, database, etc.
Basically the export application does an DOCGET based on the application/group and the import application based on the folder.
It works great and have done several migrations already.

rgrds
Patrick

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 01:37:51 PM »
we have developed two custom JAVA applications who can export the documents from an OD system and can import them into another, different platform, database, etc.
Basically the export application does an DOCGET based on the application/group and the import application based on the folder.
It works great and have done several migrations already.

Hello Patrick,

sometimes when speed is the main concern for a migration, then a ARSDOC GET / DOCGET -> ARSLOAD / DOCLOAD  are too slow. We have the experience of several month to nearly 2 years with such techniques, depending on the media where the actual data are stored.
And in such case, export / import is not the solution. In those cases, backup / restore is a very nice solution and the only solution left.

I've done in some really special cases some conversion Oracle <-> DB2 migrations, on different platform, while copying some CENTERA - CENTERA (and CENTERA are really slow dogs with TSM storage... never seen a such bad combination of technology... ) or TSM - TSM storage at the same time.
We have done the work in a few couple of weeks instead of nearly 9-12 month with standard procedure.

That said, the official way is import / export, or simple backup / restore. The rest is... like Justin said, just magic :-D

But nevertheless, I'm always interested in such development, is there something available? Free Software? Open Source Software? Licensed Software? What are its capabilities?

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

sandeepveldi

« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 01:04:17 PM »
Jose,
Apart from the very good suggestions from Alessandro & JD, you may also want to think about an approach of doing object based retrieval and store (using arsadmin) instead of doing document based retrieval.

Thanks
SV