Author Topic: Removing Old Documents from TSM  (Read 5128 times)

rstockton

Removing Old Documents from TSM
« on: May 18, 2011, 05:55:04 AM »
We have a situation where release 8.4 did not expire documents from TSM.  It did remove them from DB2 and CMOD but because of a glitch in 8.4 (patch has been added to correct the glitch) they were not removed from TSM.  Does anyone know how we can identify and remove them from TSM?

Thanks,
RS

rstockton

Re: Removing Old Documents from TSM
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 12:51:27 PM »
Would running the Expire Inventory process remove the old orphaned documents from TSM based upon the TSM policy for the node?

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 01:45:04 PM »
Hello,

Well I don't know exactly how you can do that, maybe open a PMR with IBM would help on that case.

In all cases, to identify for a storage node what are the document that are not anymore in the application group in CMOD, I would do the following:

1) get the AGID NAME from all the application group having documents in the storage node.
2) search for all doc_name in all the application group segments (normally just the first part (you know number + FAA (sometimes GAA)) get the uniq sorted list.
3) compare to the files in the storage nodes which are not in the list gathered in 2)
4) you have the list of all potential files in TSM that could be "deleted"

Just for an example

you have a Storage node called SN1 in the CMOD ARCHIVE Instance
you have only application group AGTest archive documents in this storage node, with the AGID NAME NWA
You have only 1 segment : NWA1, and by doing a "select distinct doc_name from NWA1", you get the following:

1FAAA
2FAAA
3FAAA
6FAAA

and if you look in TSM in the SN1 storage node, you will have something like:

ARCHIVE/NWA/1FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/2FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/3FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/4FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/5FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/6FAA

since 4FAA and 5FAA are not in the NWA1 segment, these are the files that potentially could be deleted from TSM without any data loss.

Regards,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

rstockton

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 07:50:18 AM »
Thanks Alessandro.

One more question.  My knowledge of TSM is limited, what command would I use to find the following information?

------------------------------------------------------------------

and if you look in TSM in the SN1 storage node, you will have something like:

ARCHIVE/NWA/1FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/2FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/3FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/4FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/5FAA
ARCHIVE/NWA/6FAA

Thanks

Russell

sandeepveldi

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 01:28:34 PM »
Russell,
If you have administrative rights on TSM, you can issue a query on the TSM DB. Here's a sample query that'll give you the list of all objects under a filespace NWA and storage node SN1

select * from archives where node_name="SN1" and filespace_name="/NWA"

Note that you have to issue this query in the TSM admin console (on AIX environment, you can reach the TSM admin console by running dsmadmc)

Thanks
SV

rstockton

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
SV.

Thanks for the rsponse to the post.  I will try this.

Thanks,

Russell

pankaj.puranik

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2013, 06:14:43 AM »
From what I understood, it is dangerous to do delete object 0 objectID.

I also came to know that there is a utility arsexoam for OAM that deletes objects from OAM.

Is there such a utility available for TSM also?

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 02:54:26 PM »
Hello Pankaj,

in that case, this tool is called CMOD... you use CMOD tools in order to delete objects, like for example arsdoc delete (ok only the index :-) or arsadmin unload.
Any other direct way is not advised. Even if possible. Especially if possible.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML