Author Topic: How to modify storage set name in CMOD 8.4.0.1?  (Read 3745 times)

plb3945

How to modify storage set name in CMOD 8.4.0.1?
« on: August 21, 2011, 11:07:19 PM »
Hello,

I need to change the "life of data and indexes" and "storage set name" in CMOD application group.
With the new version it's possible to change the first item but not the second (drawbox stay in gray color when i use update function). We have six storage set and each depends on a during time.
How can i change the storage set, is it possible?
Thanks for your help.
Best regards
Philippe

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: How to modify storage set name in CMOD 8.4.0.1?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2011, 02:37:03 PM »
Hello Philippe,

may I ask you why do you need to change the storage set in the CMOD application group?

I mean, you only want to change the name (rename) or do you want to change Storage Set?

If you want to rename it, I think this is not a big issue, and quite easily done.
If you want to change the Storage Set to another one, then yes it would be a terribly big issue.

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

plb3945

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 10:43:35 PM »
Hello Alessandro,

Thanks for your reply.
I want to change storage set because our data storage is organized with several groups. Each group is concerned by a during retention time:
Storage set name in our department:
OAMPR01 from 1 month to 6 months
OAMPR02 from 6 months to 2 years
OAMPR03 from 2 years to 4 years
etc...
If i want to change the retention time in application group from 4 months to 3 years i must also change the group from OAMPR01 to OAMPR03?
Why it would be a terribly big issue?
Thanks for your help
Best regards
Philippe

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 11:39:11 PM »
Hello Philippe,

Ok, then Houston you have a problem :-D

A quick refresh:

A document in OnDemand is stored in a Storage Node in TSM, and the metadata (and the pointer to the document) are stored in the Library server (in the application group).

So if you change the Storage Set/Node for an application group, you end up changing the pointer to the document. Meaning you won't find your document anymore. It's lost.
(I'm dramatic here, the document is not lost, but you lost the pointer to it).

So technically it is easy to change the storage, but if you do... you're on big trouble.
And no, OnDemand will not transfer all document from one Storage Set/Node to another one automatically.
That is why a Storage Set is non mutable in an application group. Once chosen, it's stays forever.

Now if you really, really, really want to do that to be in compliance with your naming convention, be prepare for a lot of work.

Here is a general walkthrough, tweak it to suit your environment (I assume your Application Group is called myAG)

1) Create a copy of your current Application Group myAG -> myAG_copy
2) Assign the correct Storage Set to your myAG_copy
3) Copy all the correct Application to your myAG_copy
4) Unmapp the folder from myAG_copy, but keep a copy of them for later (arsxml for example), otherwise your user will see twice every document during the load of documents.
5) Retrieve each LoadID from myAG (arsdoc get ...)
6) Reload every LoadID to myAG_copy (arsload ...)
7) Check that your transfer was done without any errors, that all your documents are transferred
8) Unmap your myAG from the concerned folders
9) Remap your myAG_copy to the concerned folders (arsxml is handy here)
10) Check that everything is ok as it should
11) Remove your application Group myAG
12) Rename myAG_copy back to myAG
13) take a beer, you deserve it!

Step 5/6 might take a loooooooooonnnngggg time depending on how many documents you might have, on where they are located (disk/tapes/...)
Certainly you might need to tweak that method in order to stop loads at the ends of these iterations in order to do the last parts (8-13)
And step 7, is a continuous process.

Hope this helps a bit to see what it means to change the Storage Sets inside an application group.

Cheers,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

plb3945

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 11:50:14 PM »
Alessandro,

Thanks so much for your explanations, it's very clear.
Best regards
philippe