Author Topic: how to delete documents with acvtivated enhanced retention management  (Read 10378 times)

ewirtz

Hello,
I'm doing some tests to activate enhanced retention management in CMOD. I was able to load douments with a predefined hold IMPLIED_HOLD and addd additional holds and I was able to drop the hold with ARSDOC.

But I don't know, which module can be taken to do the deletes.

I could write a script to do the deletes p.e. with arsadmin. But I expect an utility that does the deletes auomatically using the retention time and the holds.

Regards

Egon

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
Re: how to delete documents with acvtivated enhanced retention management
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 01:45:59 PM »
Hello Egon,

the tool to do the expiration of document was, is and still will be in the future "arsmaint".
If the documents have a hold, the document won't be deleted.
If the documents don't have a hold, then they will deleted if the expiration date happens.

All automatically. Maybe it would be good to look at the documentation for that module.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

ewirtz

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 12:39:46 AM »
Hello Alessandro,
may be I have not understood everything correctly, english is not my native language. I have seen that arsmaint is able to free cache storage and indexes:

-c Expires files from cache storage. Most customers should plan to schedule the ARSMAINT program to expire files every day.

-d Expires indexes from the Content Manager OnDemand database. Most customers should plan to schedule the ARSMAINT program to expire indexes every day.

But I have not seen anything about the underlying OAM objects. If OAM itself controls expiration the syncronisation of expiration is done by ARSEXOAM. But in this case OnDemand is the leading 'expiration manager' and OAM ist configured as 'never expire'. And the OAM objects shall be deleted ..

regards

Egon

Ed_Arnold

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 09:06:49 AM »
Hello to my friends Egon and Alessandro!

Egon - for enhanced retention management to work:

- application  group expiration type must be LOAD
- Either you have to stop running OSMC for the collection used by the app group or  change the collection to no longer expire documents.
- Because the application group has an expiration of LOAD - arsmaint (or arsadmin unload) is able to call OAM to delete the objects as well.

Ed Arnold
#zOS #ODF

ewirtz

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2012, 12:52:32 AM »
Hi Ed,

thanks fro your explanation.  Please look for my comments.

- application  group expiration type must be LOAD
  ==> we have done this.
- Either you have to stop running OSMC for the collection used by the app group or  change the collection to no longer expire documents.
  ==> we have chosen 'collection to no longer expire documents' because of mixed environment
- Because the application group has an expiration of LOAD - arsmaint (or arsadmin unload) is able to call OAM to delete the objects as well.
   ==> this means aramaint -c -d will delete OAM as well?

regards

Egon

Ed_Arnold

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 07:24:10 AM »
Hello Egon!

> this means arsmaint -c -d will delete OAM as well?

arsmaint -d will

(a) expire the indexes and 

(b) remove the associated OAM objects for the document (JCA.L1.FAAA) for example and the index blob (JCA.L1.FAA1 for example),

- but -

IF the document is AFP
THEN the resource object (JCA.R2 for example) will remain in OAM (as it may be reused by other loads)

Ed Arnold
#zOS #ODF

ewirtz

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2012, 12:19:55 AM »
Thanks Ed,

now I understand the complete process.  :)

I think it might help, if in the description of arsmaint (admin guide) some remarks about the storage objects are added.

regards

Egon

ewirtz

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:41:18 AM »
Hi Ed,

I have another problem. We have activated in test environment an implied hold. We need this because no document may be deleted automatically even if the retention period is passed. It seems that in case of an implied hold the retention time is ignored after releasing the implied hold. ARSMAINT has deleted the documents directly after releasing the hold.

Documentation could be interpreted in such a way:

'When creating an application group, the default for enhanced retention management is No. By selecting Yes, you also have the option of defining whether or not you want to define implied holds. The concept of implied hold is that all data loaded into the application group is inheriently held. The implied hold can only be removed by calling either ARSDOC or the ODWEK java api to remove the implied hold. This concept would be used in solutions where the retention of documents is maintained outside of CMOD.' (Compliance and Retention Management for IBM Content Manager OnDemand, Greg Felderman)

regards

Egon

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 05:51:15 AM »
Hello Egon,

if you have found such bug, and you can reproduce it, please document it and open a PMR. So IBM will be able to correct it.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

ewirtz

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2012, 01:58:17 AM »
Hello Alessandro,

I don't know whether it's a bug or a feature. Maybe that retention time is ignored completly in case of implied hold at load time.

Regards

Egon

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2012, 03:23:48 AM »
Hello Egon,

it shouldn't be. Normally when you are using the Hold... it is to "hold" the document to be considered for the cleanup when it's time to delete this document.

Now, if you remove all "Hold"s, then CMOD should return to its normal behavior and check its internal retention settings for this document.

Example:
Initial situation:
  Document loaded 1.1.2012, implicit Lock, but the retention is 1 year -> 31.12.2012.

Scenarios:
What happens if you remove the Hold <=31.12.2012
          then the document should be still there and not be deleted. And it will be delete as soon as the date is > 31.12.2012 and that no Hold are applied to this document.

What happens if you remove the Hold > 31.12.2012
           then the maintenance process to remove the document will begin, and the document will be deleted.

What happens if you don't remove the Hold at all
           then the document will stay forever in CMOD until you remove the Hold (see 2nd scenario).

Anything else is a bug in my opinion. I might be wrong, but by opening a PMR to IBM, they will check with the developer and if your scenario you are experimenting is really a bug, then they will provide a fix for it. If they find out that you might have missconfigured something in your system, they should be able to tell too !! :-D

In all cases, from what you tell us here, it's a bug. But I leave room for mistakes on my side :-) (Sorry my Swiss vision to be diplomatic :-D)

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

Ed_Arnold

New pub! Enhanced Retention Management Guide
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 09:18:00 AM »
SC19-3376-00

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg27024000

Abstract

Provides information on how enhanced retention management works, how to plan your implementation of enhanced retention management, and how to configure your software to implement enhanced retention management.

Content

The attached document applies to the following products:

Content Manager OnDemand for z/OS, Version 8.5
Content Manager OnDemand for Multiplatforms, Version 8.5
Content Manager OnDemand for i, Version 7.1
#zOS #ODF

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 11:03:48 AM »
Thank you Ed for the link.

To be honnest I'm quite disapointed... I was thinking that the Hold and Application Retention was working together, and from what I read, it is either you use Hold with Ehanced Retention Management and you loose the ability to use the Application Group Retention period, or you use the Application Group Retention period, but you cannot use ERM...

It would be much more flexible to have that link between the two :-(

Could you confirm if what I've understood is really the reality??

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

ewirtz

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2012, 03:29:18 AM »
Hi,

We have opened a PMR and I have done additional tests.

The main issue from my tests was that I did not know that the segment date was taken for expiration. I have expected the load date. (This might have an impact, because we are using that date as a business date which is in general not the same as the load date)

After taking this into account things have become more clear.

- The implied hold has stopped deleting like expected
- After releasing the Hold the delete was prevented by the the retention time as hoped
- After reducing the retention time everything was deleted as hoped.

Sorry for the chaos in my brain

cheers

Egon