Author Topic: Cache retrieval after migrating to different instance  (Read 3524 times)

GABRIELA

Cache retrieval after migrating to different instance
« on: July 20, 2012, 09:11:15 AM »
Hi,
I have migrated an OnDemand 8.4.1 server to 8.5.0.5 on a new machine (both windows)
Installed the product on new machine, backup & restore, updated indexes as documented, and Ondemand started up fine.

The fact, is that new instance name is different from the old one; therefore Ondemand doesn?t find cache when trying to retrieve the documents, as it is trying to fetch ?\cache\<old instance name>

Where does OnDemand look for the instance name, ? guess it should be in some db2 table, but I cannot find where?

Thanks in advance for your help.

demaya

Re: Cache retrieval after migrating to different instance
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 10:58:21 PM »
Hi,

I have only AIX machines, but I migrated from AS400 to AIX and had some work with cache.

In windows the instancenames are in the global registry (HKLM). HKLM\Software\IBM\OnDemand for Windows\@SRV@_INSTANCENAME and you may have a look at the tables arsnode and arsset (but there is no information about directorys). On AIX you configure the cache directories in the config ars.cache. This should work over the gui on windows.

Is the cache-parent-directory exactly the same? I mean new machine <-> old machine!?

Do you have some more information in the system log? If not, you may try arsmaint -v like "verify / validate cache filesystem"

Cheers
« Last Edit: July 22, 2012, 11:02:41 PM by mayach »

Justin Derrick

• IBM Content Manager OnDemand Consultant
  • Administrator
  • CMOD Guru for hire...
    • Tenacious Consulting
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:01:56 AM »
Hi Gabriela.

It's been a long time since I've migrated a Windows machine but here are some things to keep in mind regarding cache filesystems:

The FIRST cache filesystem contains the 'retr' directory, which CMOD uses to do all document retrievals.
The files inside the retr directory contain pointers (full pathname) to the location of the file you want to retrieve.
If you change the name (or drive letter) of ANY cache filesystem, you need to re-write the entire retr directory with updated info.

I have a tool to do this on UNIX platforms, but I'm not aware of one for Windows.  Contact IBM, they may have one.
IBM CMOD Professional Services: http://TenaciousConsulting.com
Call:  +1-866-533-7742  or  eMail:  jd@justinderrick.com
IBM CMOD Wiki:  https://CMOD.wiki/
FREE IBM CMOD Education & Webinars:  https://CMOD.Training/

Interests: #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #TSM #SP #Performance #Security #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR

GABRIELA

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2012, 02:15:25 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions.

In the end, migration has to be made to an instance with the SAME name as the old one.

This is lab's answer to PMR 11685,000,613:
1) If you have named your instance differently, you can not restore the cache to the new instance.  This kind of a procedure would require the involvement of IBM Services(Fee based service).  CMOD support would only provide assistance if you are restoring to the same instance and database name.
2) The links restored would also use the old instance name and can not be changed to the new instance name unless you are willing to reload all of the data.   Creating symbolic links is out of scope of IBM CMOD support and would need to be addressed by IBM Services (fee based service)
If you rename your instance to the old name, it will be easier to make this work.

regards!
Gabriela

demaya

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2012, 10:26:46 PM »
At least you can rename the instance for your client applications (like WEBi, Richclient,...)!?

kbsiva

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2012, 02:37:38 AM »
Gabriela,
  You might want to try creating symbolic links in test instance and see how that works. I know it works in AIX, we had a similar issue and we used symbolic links.