Author Topic: UPDATE DATA TYPE IN CMOD 8.4  (Read 3941 times)

Binesh

• View Profile
UPDATE DATA TYPE IN CMOD 8.4
« on: September 13, 2012, 07:22:13 AM »
Hi Folks

I have a requirement where in I have to change Application definition from data type "PDF" (doc_type=x'52') in the View Definition TAB, to "User Defined" with a file extension of ".pdf" (doc_type=x'55') in order to have the OnDemand Windows Client display the PDF report using Adobe Reader rather than Adobe Acrobat writer version. 

One way is to use the standard CMOD interfaces and delete the Application and recreate the Application with the correct settings.
This is a very risky activity as we have to delete more than 5000 applications and it would cause impact to business.

When I checked in the DB I found the columns DOC_TYPE & FIXED_VIEW in ARSAPP table which had the values I wanted to amend. However they cannot be done using SQL.

I would like to know how to update the fields DOC_TYPE & FIXED_VIEW in ARSAPP table.

I have created a local server and when I updated the field DOC_TYPE and pasted the values from .FVW file I was able to successfully convert the data type from "PDF" to "USERDEFINED".

Hence I believe this would fix the issue.

Kindly advise a way out and correct me if this method is wrong.

Thanks
Binesh

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: UPDATE DATA TYPE IN CMOD 8.4
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2012, 05:16:16 AM »
Hello Binesh,

I would not change the table ARSAPP directly... (I'm playing a lot with the internals of CMOD... but for some things, I prefere not to)

If you want to change all the 5000 applications, the only would be to use "arsxml", export everything, change the resulting XML to the value you want.
Remove all concerned Application (with arsxml too)
Reinsert all concerned application.

Of course, please do it first in a test environment.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Binesh

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 06:18:00 AM »
Hi Alessandro

Thanks for your advise. Would you be able to provide me any reference to ARSXML usage.

Thanks
Binesh

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 12:33:01 PM »
Hello Binesh,

Maybe these links could help you:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cmod/v8r4m1/topic/com.ibm.ondemand.administeringmp.doc/arsxml.htm

And the format of XML

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/cmod/v8r4m1/topic/com.ibm.ondemand.administeringmp.doc/objecxml.htm

You can do an export of the Application definitions by creating a file like this one

Code: [Select]
<onDemand xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="/usr/lpp/ars/bin/xml/ondemand.xsd">
  <application name="appl1" appGroup="appgroup1" />
  <application name="appl2" appGroup="appgroup2" />
  <application name="appl3" appGroup="appgroup3" />
  <application name="applN" appGroup="appgroupN" />
</onDemand>

Then with the command:

Code: [Select]
arsxml export -h <instance> -u <user> -p <password> -v -i <xml_file> -o <output_xml>

You should have the full export of all wanted applications.
Make a copy of it, since this is your original application setup.
Then you can modify the output_xml, according to your needs.
With the same xml as the one used with the export, you can delete all applications involved (use "arsxml delete ...")

Then when they are deleted, then use the XML you have corrected, and add the corrected applications (use "arsxml add ...")

Test it with one application at first in a test environment. When you are confortable, and see that it works, then you can try it for the whole set in a test environment.
When everything works as expected, and you are confident, then do it in production.

I hope that helps a bit :-D

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

Binesh

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 10:58:49 PM »
Hi Alessandro

Thanks for that. I shall definitely give that a try.

Thanks
Binesh