Support Forums > Documentation

CMOD 10.1 ODWEK compatibility

(1/2) > >>

Norbert Novotny:
Hi guys,

I just would like to share my findings in compatibility of ODWEK between CMOD Server 9.5 and 10.1.

https://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21392275

The ODWEK (the old "core") api used for search and retrieve of documents works as  expected. However,  using the ODWEK XMLparse method of ODServer, could give you a grief.

Since this is not a true Java API method, but rather masking with system call of arsxml utility, you will get incompatibility between server and client.
Basically the ODServer.XMLparse() method is not compatible in ANY of the combinations.

ODWEK 9.5 does not work with CMOD v10.1
nor
ODWEK 10.1 does not work with CMOD v9.5

Not sure if this is a bug or just an undocumented feature :)

Hope this helps to someone.
N.

Justin Derrick:
Hey Norbert.

This is why IBM always recommends that the ODWEK and CMOD Server components are *always* the same version.  I've seen some rather frightening combinations in production that I never thought would work, but managed to work just well enough for management to ignore the problem a little longer.  :)

-JD.

jsquizz:

--- Quote from: Justin Derrick on November 26, 2018, 09:11:58 AM ---Hey Norbert.

This is why IBM always recommends that the ODWEK and CMOD Server components are *always* the same version.  I've seen some rather frightening combinations in production that I never thought would work, but managed to work just well enough for management to ignore the problem a little longer.  :)

-JD.

--- End quote ---

I second this. I mixed 8.5.0.5 ODWEK with 8.5.0.6 ARSSOCKD once and it was an absolute nightmare. Instability, random crashes, slowness, explainable issues.

I always tell my clients to keep ODWEK/CMOD SERVER the SAME EXACT VERSION down to the patch.

Norbert Novotny:
Yah, we are trying to keep the ODWEK and SRV as close as possible, but what would you do in a case when you have a custom app which needs to serve two (in my case four) different instances of CMOD a kind of federation tool? However, the upgrade path of the servers is not possible to execute all at once (in one weekend). They are not very far of each other mostly just minor version, but in case to step up from 9.5 to 10.1 here you have major version change.

Anyway, I will post the solution if/when we get one ...  :)

Cheers,
 N.

Justin Derrick:
Hey Norbert.

One of my customers writes "microservices" so that all of their internal apps have the same CMIS-style API to their repositories.  In your case, you could almost have the same 'microservice' with four different instances, each using it's own version of ODWEK.  I don't know all the finer details of this approach, but it's been quite successful for them as they migrate away from solutions like ICI and Xenos and replace them with Free/Open Source Software solutions instead.

-JD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version