Author Topic: ARSXML Export Only Folder Name and Description  (Read 5036 times)

teeraw

ARSXML Export Only Folder Name and Description
« on: February 13, 2012, 05:34:59 AM »
How can I use "arsxml export" to export only folder name and description?  ???
I need this for batch export folder name that exclude permission and field information.

I used:
arsxml export  -hlocalhost -uadmin -ppassword -v  -i exportfldr.xml -o fldr.xml

My input XML file is:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<onDemand xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
                xsi:noNamespaceSchemaLocation="/usr/lpp/ars/bin/xml/ondemand.xsd">
<!--  This will export all of the groups defined on the system -->
  <folder name="_ALL" />
</onDemand>

But my output is include anything within folders.

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: ARSXML Export Only Folder Name and Description
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 12:39:00 PM »
Hello Teeraw,

at my knowledge, it's a all or nothing flag with arsxml. Either you know what you want, or you get everything.
In either case, you'll get for a folder/appG/app/user/group/... everything to redo it again.

The only way to have only what you want would be to do it with the Java API from ODWek.

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

demaya

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 12:04:20 AM »
Hey,

how about a simple db2 on the cli:
db2 "select name, description from arsfol"

Cheers :-)

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 10:42:07 AM »
Hello Mayach,

yes you could do it like that too :-D

I've seen more and more usage of arsxml instead of access directly the database, because most of the time customer wants to use standard tools and not look directly into the tables :-)

And at the same time I find the question about filtering the export via XML a very good idea, especially when it's not always easy to know which bit is what in some fields of some tables!!

For me that would be an improvement of the arsxml export functionality!!!

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi

#Install #Migrations #Conversion #Educate #Repair #Upgrade #Migrate #Enhance #Optimize #AIX #Linux #Multiplatforms #DB2 #Windows #Oracle #TSM #Tivoli #Performance #Audits #Customizing #Availability #HA #DR #JavaApi #ContentNavigator #ICN #WEBi #ODWEK #Services #PDF #AFP #XML

demaya

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 12:49:05 AM »
Good Morning,

yes you're right, but for me there are two approaches for using arsxml or the cli.

arsxml = complete Export / Import / Update automation with the whole hierarchy and depedencies
cli = get data as they are on the database and at least with less work

Just thinking about an functionality that you mentioned with the output. How would you configure something like turning fields on / off in the output? First something with cat / sed / grep could work.

Cheers

Alessandro Perucchi

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 01:14:37 AM »
Hello Mayach,

well today either I'm using perl, or if I'm lazy a lot bunch of awk/sed :-D It's always different, and depending on my mood!! :-D

But to have something integrated with arsxml would be top !!!

Sincerely yours,
Alessandro
Alessandro Perucchi